No matter what the job or the project is, your hands are often at risk of injury. They are susceptible to cuts, punctures, burns, crushing injuries, adverse chemical reactions, you name it.
As we understand all too well now, they also protect us from dangers the eye can't see (along with proper hand hygiene of course). They are used in many essential service industries, including the food industry, to keep us safe from viruses, bacteria, germs, and more. It's not surprising businesses are continually changing the way they look at health and safety precautions, especially Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Many are adopting gloves as a regular part of their employee's uniforms to protect them and their customers.
So, why is hand protection SO important?
1) Your hands are often the only point of contact between you and the material you're working with, so they need protection.
2) Hand injuries are one of the most common in the workplace and can range from mild, like a sliver, to severe, like an amputation.
3) Losing or injuring any fingers, especially your thumbs, would greatly reduce your ability to do daily tasks in life.
4) Your hands are exposed to many dangers, including heavy equipment, sharp tools and chemicals.
5) Toxic substances can be absorbed by our bodies through our skin.
The type of glove you need depends on the hazards the job presents.
But what glove do you choose?
There are so many options made of a variety of materials. There are some made of fabric, some that are rubber and some that look like they are meant for a space suit, and they all do different things.
Some protect you from biological substances and chemicals, others ionizing radiation and temperatures. Each is meant to act as a barrier between your hands and the hazard. This is why you first need to complete a hazard assessment of the job site and project, prior to choosing your gloves.
In the past, people have written gloves off due to poor grip, fit, and dexterity, but as gloves have become more specialized, they have also improved their wear.
This easy guide will help you choose the gloves that are best for your project!
I'm sure many of us haven't taken the proper precautions and have had near-misses in our lives, but it only takes one time for a serious injury to occur.
THINK ABOUT YOUR HANDS
IDENTIFY THE RISKS
WEAR YOUR GLOVES
Your hands will thank you.
downloadable PDF version of guide: